Wednesday, January 21, 2009

2005 Villalta Ripasso Valpolicella


I wanted to do something nice for my ex-husband. I know that probably sounds odd, but I am staying with him for ten days while I am in Maine so I thought cooking a nice Italian dinner paired with a nice Italian wine would be, er, nice.

After purchasing all the necessary ingredients at the local IGA, I stopped into Wilderness Wines for a bottle or two. While browsing the Italian section (all 7 bottles) I decided on the 2005 Villalta Ripasso Valpolicella. I am a big fan of Valpolicella wines and for $9.99 why not? Except that I wasn't wearing my glasses, and once I pulled my debit card out I discovered $9.99 was actually $19.99. Er. Well. I'm too shy to put anything back so I sucked it up.

This is a blend of Corvina Veronese, Rondinella, and Molinara, and being a Ripasso the wine is passed over semi-dried grapes used to make Amarone, inducing a secondary fermentation (see Bob, I know what I am talking about, ok?). It is rich with tobacco and meat, silky tannins and a long finish. For $9.99 I would say Bellissimo! Or is it Bellissima? For $19.99 I'd still say Bellissimo! But with ten fewer dollars in my wallet. My ex-husbands review? "This is good".

Tomorrow night, it's back to France! Stay tuned my fellow winos.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm Speechless. No, actually i'm Bob. I'm just really impressed. Not surprised, you've always had a great palate and could write like crazy. But still - great stuff. Keep it up!