Thursday, December 11, 2008

2004 Columbia Crest Two Vines Merlot


When I started this blog I promised myself I would not review bulk wines. Why should I? There are so many great, value priced wines produced by smaller wineries out there, why would I waste my time on a bulk wine? I mean my God people, when I think of bulk wine I think of that scene in "Sideways" where the wine is being dumped into the tanker by a hose. That, to me, is not the wine I want to drink.

Well, I'll tell you the reasons I'm drinking this. Christmas shopping, spending way too much money on gifts that have a life expectancy of ten days, utter and complete exhaustion, wal mart, and then sending the drinking companion in to the Hood River Safeway for a bottle of wine. His pick? Columbia Crest Two Vine Merlot for a mere $5.85.

Brave choice I thought, knowing if it was undrinkable I had a bottle of the yet-to-be-released Syncline 2007 Mourvedre at home. The nose has an amazing blackberry bramble thing going on, I thought to myself it's probably the stems that were crushed along with the grapes. (The grapes were in fact de-stemed, I'm just being snarky) No matter, I pressed on (no pun intended, really). The wine is smoooth, with flavors of berry and chocolate. None of that metallic aftertaste I usually get with bulk wine. Not a very complex merlot, but definately a food friendly, drinkable wine that paired nicely with the spinach and parmesan pasta we had for dinner. We finished the bottle and debated going out to get another. However it's chilly here in the Gorge and we're in for the night. Time to break open the Mourvedre and watch "Weeds".

1 comment:

dlimageworks said...

I have to admit that this wine was a big suprise!