Monday, March 2, 2009

Le Ferme Julien Rouge 2007


Has it been a month? Really?

I'm sorry. Really, truly five followers of this blog. I am sorry I have neglected you. I work at a winery. Some months are painfully slow. Others, like wine club shipment month, can be a bit hectic. Add on a 144 mile commute each day and it's all I can do to keep my eyes open, let alone blog. The next two weeks will be spent house sitting for a lovely couple who happen to live a 1/2 mile from where I work as they vacation in Mexico. I hope to update this more frequently than once a month. I also vow with the new found three hours a day I have, to purchase more wine out side of "Trader Joe's"

You don't want my excuses, I know. You just want to know what, or what not to purchase.

"La Ferme Julien Rouge 2007"

I know I said Rhone and I were on a break. My name is Sara and I am an addict, ok? My cart filled with fresh fruits and veggies, brown rice, salmon..oh what the Hell? A Rhone blend for $5.99? Fine, whatever. I bought it, ok?

Classic Rhone table wine. 50% Grenache, 20% Syrah, 15% Carignan and 15% Cinsault.

This is not offensive. This wine is a second label from from French winemaker Francois Perrin. It has bright fruit and cracked pepper on the nose. It's young and tight, but opened up a bit after an hour of leaving the screw cap off (yes friends, the screw cap). It reminds me a lot of the Rhone Wine with the chicken on the label, who's name escapes me at the moment. The wine I would drink in Jersey when I was feeling less than flush with cash. (I googled it, La Vieille Ferme). It tastes almost identical except there is a goat on the label, not a chicken. Barnyard animals aside, it's an easy drinking, every day table wine with bright raspberry and spice notes and soft tannins. Would I serve this at a dinner party? No. I'd pour Syncline Wine Cellars Mourvedre (one case left- jump on it). However, with a tomato and basil sandwich after a long day of wine club shipments? Yes yes yes.

No comments: